Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Fixing the Fodder Again...

Good afternoon! How is everyone? I am doing pretty well.

Today is a typical day for me. I am blessed to have my wonderful in-laws staying with us! I really enjoy their visits! We stayed up last night planing our cruise excursions. I was pretty exciting! I was getting so excited about our trip, it was kind of hard to go to sleep!

I got up and made some sourdough pancakes, scrambled eggs and sausage patties. We served the pancakes with homemade peach syrup, homemade cherry almond syrup and homemade apple cinnamon syrup. Boy, did those really hit the spot!

I went out yesterday afternoon and spent roughly about two hours working on the fodder system. I had Aaron feed whatever fodder was salvageable and then I had to clean out all of the remaining trays. I took each tray, one-by-one, disposed of the moldy fodder or moldy grains, bleached out each tray, and returned each empty tray back into place. I then had Aaron help me dump the water reservoir out. I bleached that container down and refilled with fresh water. I added some bleach to the water to help keep the bacteria down. I washed out both grain buckets, then I filtered out enough grains for two trays, rinse the grain, filled it with fresh water, added about a capful of bleach, stirred it up and left it to soak overnight. Today, I drained the grains. I spread the grains out evenly between the two trays and spread it much thinner than I have been. Nathan thought maybe I was keeping the seeds too deep and that might have been causing it to mold. I put the two newly filled trays back and started enough grains for two more trays tomorrow. I sure hope this works. If this doesn't work, I don't know what to do next. I've had to scrap three full batches of fodder now and that is no fun considering the time and effort it takes to get it to grow! Let's hope the third time is a charm!

We are getting ready to go to town in a little bit. I have a chiropractic appointment in about an hour. I sure hope he can make me feel better. My back has been threatening to go out on me for about a week now, as I'm sure lugging water and grain buckets around did me no favors! Thankfully, I think it has bee karate that has kept my back from going out completely. It has strengthened me in many ways.

Well, I need to get ready to go. Hope you have a wonderful rest of the day. God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add constructive comments. I have loosened the controls to encourage people to post more comments.