Thursday, January 3, 2013

Fishing Anyone?

Good evening! How are you today? I am feeling much better today. I finally got rid of my two day old headache. Lots of caffeine did the trick for me!!! I knew there was a reason behind buying Starbucks Dark Roast!

I didn't sleep too well last night and I got up a little earlier than usual this morning. We had Nathan's cousin Darin and his family sleep over last night. They are one their way home from visiting Darin's dad, Nathan's Uncle Jerry. I got up to make breakfast before Nathan had to leave for work. I made some homemade sourdough English muffins, sausage patties, and scrambled eggs. I must say...those English muffins were pretty good with some softened butter and my freezer strawberry preserves!

Late this afternoon, the doorbell rang. Guess who? Our tilapia finally arrived!!! I opened the box and was shocked that they were not shipped in an insulated box. All nine of them were dead as a door nail, floating belly-up. I got my cell phone and called Nathan immediately to let him know. The water the fish were in was really cold. They were all floating upside-down and no one was breathing. They only shipped them in a normal box with two bubble envelopes ripped open, three newspaper sheets on the bottom with two small hand warmers and they were covered with three newspaper sheets on top. No wonder they were dead! They were shipped from Ohio. They're didn't realize that it was cold here. Nathan said he would call the fish supplier that we ordered the fish from and let him know. Nathan told me to go ahead and float the bag anyways just in case we could warm them up and bring them back from the dead!

I floated the bags. I kept watch over them and saw nothing. I turned away and started prepping our fodder trays for tomorrow. When I turned back around, I looked at the bag and I saw one the smallest fish swimming around the bag! I waited and then I saw another one of the smaller fish move a little. Maybe there was hope after all! I kept watching and none of the big fish were moving whatsoever. Jordan helped me start pouring some of the tank water into the bag. After about one minute, I saw one of the big fish flick his fin! After about ten minutes, all but one fish was swimming! We dumped all the fish into the fish tank. We let them settle into the tank and when I came back later to check on them, ALL of them were happy and healthy!

Nathan had called the guy we got the fish from and he asked if we still had the fish in the bag. The last message Nathan left for him was that all the fish arrived cold and dead. He was hoping I didn't throw the fish away yet. He let us know that they had added a chemical to the water in the bag that paralyzes them for transport! I had never heard of such a thing! Boy, was I glad I listened to Nathan!

I am supposed to drive to Los Lunas tomorrow to buy two used fish tanks with a stand to keep all the fish separated. Jordan will, Lord willing, help me and then I'm supped to drop him off at Sportsman's Warehouse to meet up with Nathan. Nathan and Jordan are doing their once a year father/son trip. They are leaving tomorrow to head up to Farmington for the weekend. They are planning on staying with Darin and Leslie. The purpose of this trip is to spend quality time together and to get some serious duck and geese hunting in!!! Jordan can't wait to break in his new shotgun he bought for Christmas.

Well, I am attaching some pics of our tilapia. I hope this all works well. I am ready for bed tonight. Sleep well my friends. God bless you all!



2 comments:

  1. did every one of the tilapias survive?

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, every single one of them survived...hallelujah! They are doing well tonight. Nathan fed them earlier today and he said they ate real well. I fed them again tonight and they acted like a bunch of piranhas when I put the food in their tank!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to add constructive comments. I have loosened the controls to encourage people to post more comments.