Good morning everyone! Yes, I am writing an early blog today. I promised to share a farm story today. I wasn't sure what I was going to write about, but guess what? I was struck by sudden inspiration as Nathan was leaving for work this morning.
I got up, fixed Nathan some Greek yogurt for breakfast, filled his water bottle, and packed him a lunch of smoked pheasant, stuffing, and a spinach arugula salad with raspberry vinaigrette dressing. I decided to walk him out to his car. We took about five steps outside and we were greeted by my friendly alpaca, Francis. It was then that we realized that the gate to the non-milking side was standing wide open...dah, dah, dah...
I turned to see our two steers, one milk cow, three alpacas, and a Nubian buck running amuck with our guineas going absolutely berserk with all the chaos around them! I ran back inside to yell at both boys to get it in gear and get outside to help me round everyone up. I am running around in my pajamas and my slippers...mind you, I was just saying goodby to Nathan. I wasn't planning on doing a round-up first thing in the morning. Jordan finally came outside with his cattleman's whip. I manned the gate. I opened the gate wide and he started cracking his whip and he herded the cow and one steer (Red, our usually "wild" one) back into the pasture. About this time, (Sir Loin, our black and white steer, usually our docile one) decided he was NOT going back in! He kicked up his heels and started running the other way whenever I tried to approach him. I grabbed a bucket of oats. He ALWAYS follows the oats (except for today). I chased him all the way onto our back porch on our flagstone. Then he turned and ran off all the way back around to Chad's barn. Aaron came out right about then and herded him back to the gate. He finally went in. Jordan and Aaron got a long lead rope and herded the alpacas back in. I felt like Noah's ark, leading the animals in two by two! What a way to start my day. This all happened within fifteen minutes!
Got another goat we're boarding. They paying us for breeding services. She's a beautiful Nubian named Peaches. Everyone is so excited to meet her, especially Old Spice!
When I got back in the kitchen, I decided to hang my Greek yogurt. It's so easy to make. I don't buy it any more.
Well, there's my story for today. Until tomorrow...God bless!

when will things settle down at your place? Ha Ha. You and your stories are amazing. Keep on writing. I enjoy reading them
ReplyDeleteMom
Things settle down??? I don't think that EVER happens around farms! I am really glad you get enjoyment out of reading about what I write about. I never thought of myself as a writer! Glad you also find these stories funny!
ReplyDeleteLove ya Mom!