Saturday, December 15, 2012

End Of The Year Training

Good evening everyone! How are you? I am pretty sore and tired!

I woke up at 6:00 A.M. So I could get Jordan up early to get chores done early today. He still didn't get up any too quick! Everyone got their chores done by 7:30.

I made whole wheat oat pancakes and fried eggs. I wasn't hungry and couldn't eat a bite. Got ready to leave by 8:50. We left for Albuquerque to go to the main dojo in town. Sensei Nagatomo held his end of the year training today.

Nathan was pretty nervous. He had never been to the other dojo as a student before. We were supposed to do our basic training for an hour, then they were supposed to have team kata competitions. Nathan, the boys, and I have been practicing Hein Shodan as a team. The boys and I have been working really hard trying to finish learning Jion. Well, after the regular training was over, Sensei Nagatomo surprised everyone and totally "rearranged" teams. We had our family as one team doing Nathan's kata. Then we had another team of brown belts from our dojo supposed to do Jion, but Sensei divided us differently. Three of the four of us knew Jion, so se decided to Bassai Dai instead.

Nathan was one of the first teams to compete. There was only two on his team, himself and another young lady. The idea of team kata is to perform all the movements as one unit. The young lady was pretty nervous and messed up. She skipped two movements and Nathan did not. He saw she jumped ahead and instead of continuing doing the full kata correctly, he jumped ahead to match the other girl who seemed to be oblivious to what happened. I was so proud of Nathan! He did the absolute right thing. I was impressed!way to go Honey!!! Nathan's team won 2nd place in their division!

Aaron and Jordan ended up on a different team from me. The both did very well. Aaron was the leader of their team and he did the best I have ever seen him do leading. Jordan led a little and when he did, he did an excellent job. I was proud of all my guys! My boys represented our dojo well! I always get stopped and complemented on both of my boys. They are really great young men!

I was on a team with Sam Hoffman and Luke Drennan and one other guy from the main dojo. We did pretty well. There were three teams that ended up tying for third place. So, Aaron's team, my team and the other senior brown belt team had to compete again for a tie breaker. Aaron's team scored an 18.0, the senior brown belt team earned 18.0, our team scored an 18.3, so our team took third place! We had so much fun!

Then Sensei Nagatomo held an end of the year Christmas party at his house. We attended that this evening. Every year, they provide some awesome sushi. Nathan and Aaron sure got their fill of the "good stuff"! Well, that pretty much sums up our day today. I'm starting with a sore throat tonight, so I'm already in bed nursing a cup of hot tea. I hope I sleep well and wake up feeling better tomorrow morning.

Much love to all. Sleep well and God bless.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your karate events. Proud of you all and am glad you're spending time as a family together.
    Send me some pics.

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kind of hard to take pics when we are all busy doing karate at the same time! Wish there was an extra one of me to take video and pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jion is a kata that we perform in karate. A kata is a series of movements that we practice and try to perfect. We practice different katas then we go for testing to see if we have learned enough skills to pass to the new level and start learning a new kata. The katas progress and get more difficult as you pass each level. They only offer testing once every three months. If you are not prepared and if you haven't sufficiently "mastered" the skills for that level, then you must wait till you are deemed ready by the Sensei.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good afternoon Michelle. I am just now catching up on reading. It has been good reading so far. I am getting over my little accident and seem black and blue with the bruising and also a little sore. Comes with falling I guess. It could have been worse. Keep up all the good work. Send my love to the family. Love you, dad.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to add constructive comments. I have loosened the controls to encourage people to post more comments.