Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I PASSED!!!!

Good evening to everyone! I am so excited! I am still doing karate. My boys and I have been studying Shotokan style karate for a little over two years now. I tested this past Saturday...all by myself! Aaron and I always seem to be ready to test at the same time. They only offer testing once every three months.

When testing came up this time, Aaron was ready to test, but he's still trying to get caught up in school. He decided to pull himself out of karate until January. So, my Sensei said I HAD to test this time, without Aaron. He said it was something I needed to do on my own, without having Aaron by my side.

After testing is completed, they usually don't tell us for two weeks if we passed or not. I went to class on Tuesday. Sensei went ahead and moved me forward in line at class. That means I passed! I am now first kyu. In other words, I am now a third degree brown belt. I will now have to wait and train hard for one year before I can test for black belt. I will actually have to wait for a year and three months since they only test black belts in August and February.

I was really not sure how I was going to do on my own, but I practiced hard and Sensei worked diligently with me on my kata. After testing, Sensei came up to me and told me that he was very proud of me and that I did VERY well on my kata. He said I did all my stances correctly and that I did all the major things they were looking for.

I wasn't sure if I was going to pass though. I did make a couple of minor mistakes. Sensei Nagatomo called on me to spar with a purple belt. He told me to kick side of thrust and I spaced out and I did a round house. I tagged the other lady on her shoulder...oops. Mistake number one. Mistake number two was during my testing. He called on another brown belt lady to spar with me. She had already tested for her black belt, but failed and is planning on testing again in February. She was told to do a round house. When I go to block, I slide out of the way, then follow through with an arm block if necessary. Unfortunately, I didn't slide far enough out of the way and she tagged me in the gut! What a surprise! She was worried she hurt me. It surprised me, but I was ready to dish it back! I recovered quite well and counter punched her like I was supposed to. I guess it turned out as good as it could have.

I was really excited that Sensei Caesar was so proud of me. He told me he would have been proud of me even if I failed. He said it didn't matter if I pass or fail, because I am a very good lady and that I tried my best and had fun.

I can't believe it...I PASSED!!!

Well until tomorrow...God be praised and may He bless you and keep you safe!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations, wish I could have been there. Love you, dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dad. Maybe you can come when I test for black belt maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what you can or cannot do. I just know that when you are focused on your goal, you always achieve it 100 percent. Way to go, daughter. Now I wouldn't be afraid to go anywhere with you as my bodyguard. You're quite a champ!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mom. Yours and Dad's support mean a lot to me. I have worked hard at everything I have ever done in my life. Thanks for showing me how to work hard and achieve my goals. You both have taught me to set my goals, go for them, and not to give up until I achieve it. Thank you both! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to add constructive comments. I have loosened the controls to encourage people to post more comments.