Good evening all! I've got another chicken story for you all. We had ordered the 125 broilers and egg laying chicks. We had them in their chicken coop we built out beside the front of our house.
It was a rainy evening and we had just recently moved them outdoors. The rain turned into a downpour. We went out frequently to check on the chicks and make sure they were all ok. We were all watching a family movie, but would send one of the boys every 20-30 minutes to check on them. We sent Nathan and our youngest son Jordan to check on them and when they didn't return after a few minutes, I sent Aaron to go see what was taking them so long. When Aaron didn't return, I got up to go see what was going on. Little did I know what was in store!
Let me take this time to inform those of you who don't know us, that my husband Nathan, is a nurse. He ran emergency rooms for 15+ years.
As I walked out the front door, I see the three guys have set up a "triage" station on our front porch. It had rained so much, the chicks didn't know to get out of the rain and the rain was pooling on one side of their enclosure. When Nathan went outside, he saw several pairs of legs sticking up out of the puddle of standing water! Not a good sign...
Nathan had a pile of birds that had gone on to meet their Maker. He had Aaron rubbing some birds with a shirt to dry them off and start chest compressions to get them breathing again. He sent Jordan inside to get more towels. Then I heard "...whew...whew...whew...PUHHH!!!"
I heard this several times before I knew what it was. Nathan was off to the side of the porch and he was giving mouth to beak resuscitation! YUCK!!!!!! Talk about dedication! Next thing I know, he had Jordan shuttling the semi dead chicks in to our laundry room to me.I had lined my laundry room sink with several towels. We placed all the chicks in the sink and I used my handy-dandy blow drier and warmed them up for about 30 minutes and we saved every single one of them!
I was totally grossed out by the thought of Nathan performing mouth- to-beak, and he would tease me by puckering up and pretending to kiss me while I ran in the opposite direction!!!
Hope you got another laugh out of this!
Until next time...
Blessings!
anything to save those poor chicks. good story.
ReplyDeleteWOW. You all have some courage. Mouth to beak is....is insanely kind. :) No other way to put it. Hope your back is feeling better and I was glad to learn that you found your purse!
ReplyDelete