Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Making Fodder

Hello! How are you all doing? Tuesdays are always crazy for me. Got the boys up and around doing chores this morning. Got them going on school. Before I knew it, Aaron said, "Mom, we need to get ready to leave in a half hour." I couldn't believe it was already 12:00!

Got the boys to get all their "stuff" ready so we could leave for the day. We left at 12:45 to get to drama rehearsal for the boys from 1:00-3:30. Met up with Nathan in the Walmart parking lot in Edgewood so we could ride in to karate class in Tijeras together from 4:00-6:00. Had a great class, but then again, we always have a great class!

Left straight from karate to drive to the west side of Albuquerque to Aulvie and Paula's house for the youth Bible study tonight. We just got home a little bit ago and the boys just got in from doing evening feeding chores.

Nathan and I are starting up our fodder system. I told you I would explain fodder to you all, so here goes. Fodder is where you take grains such as wheat berries, soak them in water overnight to start the process of sprouting. The next morning, we drain off the water, then spread the wheat berries in a single layer on a metal tray. We have a watering system on a timer that automatically drips water intermittently throughout the day. The trays are on a wooden platform that keep them slightly tilted down at one end. This allows the water to moisten the berries and drain at the end of the tray and drip down into a reservoir that recycles the water. The berries then sprout and grow a "carpet" of wheat grass that we feed to our livestock. The amazing thing is that we grow the fodder without any soil! This is called hydroponics. This is our homeschooling vocabulary word for the day...lol! So Nathan and I just spread out our first two trays tonight. We plan on (Lord willing) to spread out four trays tomorrow. It takes about seven days for a tray to be ready for harvesting. I will take pictures as this progresses along.

I am completely exhausted, so I am going to turn in for the night. Until tomorrow...

God bless!

4 comments:

  1. When I was growing up on the farm we did our fodder differently. We would plant corn and wheat and soy beans together, after they were about two feet high. we would take a fodder machine behind the tractor. Behind the fodder cutter a wagon was hitched on. As the machine cut the fodder it blew it back into the wagon. the fodder was then placed into a silo in the ground and covered with heavy plastic, with a restraint to keep the cows from eating everything at once. Each morning during the winter, we would move the restraint up a little so they could get more fodder. Keep up the good work. Love you, dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is so cool! I can't wait for the pix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got the fodder growing again. Is this located in your garage?
    Saw your little chicks. They look happy.
    Thanks for sharing. Good luck.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mom. Yes, this is in our garage. Yeppers...the chicks are sure happy campers right now!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to add constructive comments. I have loosened the controls to encourage people to post more comments.