Sunday, June 2, 2013

Is It Crazy Around the Farm? Eggsactly!

Hello to all! How are you this beautiful evening? We are enjoying the coolness of the slight summer rain we got today! Yippee! It's the first rain we've had in over three months.

Well, just to let everyone know, Jordan woke up feeling all better. He just drank too much pickle juice yesterday and he felt much better after he got it all out of his system!

We got up and around this morning. I made my daily cup of mocha. I even splurged and made an second cup of iced mocha! I fried a pound of bacon and Nathan made us some crepes. We left for church and listened to a wonderful lesson. 

After church let out, two families from church brought meals for the Gloetzner family. It was very sweet of them, we dropped the food off and the family really and truly appreciated the love and kindness shown to them.

Well, I was outside this morning talking with my nephew, Avery Cogburn. We just happened to start talking about our guinea hens. He said that he thought he saw some guinea hen eggs the other day. I have never seen any, so I told him the next time he sees some, to come and let me know. It wasn't even fifteen minutes later when something really cool happened! Nathan turned on the watering system to my flower garden yesterday. We forgot to turn it off, so he went to turn it off this morning. As he was turning it off, I walked up beside the flower garden and noticed that someone or something's had trampled one side of my flower bed. Needless to say, I was NOT happy. So I walked around to check the other side of the flower bed and I found where the guinea hens made a nest and laid three eggs! I was so excited! I ran to go get Avery and Savanah to show them. Before we left for church tonight, we saw a different hen laying on the nest and we counted four eggs! By the time we got home from potluck and volley ball this evening, we had FIVE eggs! I looked the information up on line and their gestation time is 26-28 days. So hopefully, we might have some away chicks by the end of the month, Lord willing! Life never slows down for us Cogburns!

Well, I'm very sleepy and I'm having a difficult time typing. I had better turn in. Praying Gods love and blessing on you. Take care and rest well.

3 comments:

  1. How very cool. It will be so fun to watch these hatch. (aren't you up kind of late?) I-m thinking it's late here, and you are an hour later. Oh well.....sleep well. I'm thankful you had such a blessed day and were a blessing to others. Way to let that light shine on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have had several hens hatch eggs for us, and it is just so fabulous when it does happen. Unfortunately, we've also had many, many hens go broody (meaning that they will sit on the eggs even if they are not fertilized), and we are all so bummed when the time comes and goes with no baby chicks. I hope these are good eggs. If not, at least you know which hen will make a good momma!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're totally a farm woman now. Enjoy your animals like I do my plants and trees. I will be sending a photo of my plumeria today.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to add constructive comments. I have loosened the controls to encourage people to post more comments.