Nathan and I had an absolute blast on our cruise! We got to see lots of new things, tried new foods, saw lots of neat places and admired some of the most beautiful artwork I have ever seen! Over the next couple of weeks, I want to blog about the places we went, things we saw and things we did.
As soon as we arrived home, we hit the ground running! To start off with, the airline lost both of our check-on luggage. Thankfully, they finally located it about five days after we got home! Yes, we did make it home with all of our honey! Since we have our own honey bees, Nathan has become a honey collector. We bought honey in all but two ports of call that we stopped in. We were a little worried about clearing customs, but since they lost our luggage, we didn't have any trouble at all. We actually found out that you can bring honey back through customs, no problem at all.
Anyways, we had been traveling and awake for about 24 hours. We were absolutely exhausted. Going over to Europe, we had no difficulties making the time change adjustment. Coming back was a totally different story! The luggage the airlines lost had all our over-the-counter meds like Benedryl. We sometimes take that to help us get to sleep and to also sleep through the night. We went to bed around 9:09 p.m. (NM time) and our internal alarm clocks woke us up at 1:30. At 3:30 a.m., Nathan was still awake and couldn't go to sleep.
Let me back up a second. On our way driving home from the airport, a friend of ours had a cow named Honey. Honey had had a calf two days prior and she just up and died. So they now had an orphan heifer. They called us to see if we could take her in since one of our cows just had a baby about a week before. So five minutes after we drove in our driveway, the Schwebachs brought over their little girl. Let the fun begin!
So when Nathan couldn't go to sleep, he got up to check on the Schwebach's little heifer. When he went outside, mind you...it's 3:30, he looked and low and behold, our other cow Ruth had just had her little baby! The calf had just been born and was still on the ground and wet! We finally got another GIRL!!!! So Nathan came back in and woke me up and we had to get her all settled in and milked momma and fed the baby.
The day after we got home, we got an order of 20 turkey chicks in. The day after that, we got our order of 9 goslings in. Unfortunately, we think they had some sort of virus. They began dying about the second day after we got them. We now have no more chicks. I am so sad. We have never lost two entire shipments before.
Oh well...on to my real story. Paula, now is the time for a restroom break!
I kind of had an eventful Tuesday morning. Nathan called me and asked me to go outside and take a picture of our bull calf that we were trying to sell. The guy that was interested in buying it wanted a better picture. So I went our with my iPhone and started taking pictures.
Once more, let me back up. While we were gone, our rooster (his name was Eagle) had "attacked" several people. He had never been aggressive. He actually belonged to my brother-in-law, Chad. His boys hand raised him and used to carry him around as a pet! Chad had some people over and he tried to attack one of the young kids, then later he tried to get one of Chad's kids and then he snuck up on Chad and tried to get him. Fortunately, Chad had a pitchfork and the rooster never really hurt anyone.
So...he i am minding my own business, taking pictures of our cute little calf. By the way, might I remind you that I HATE CHICKENS??? The stupid rooster snuck up behind me. I had NO idea he was even there. My left thigh started hurting and I looked over my shoulder and all I saw was feathers and wings. I thought there were two chickens fighting behind me and so I took a step forward. My thigh was STILL hurting. I looked again and then it dawned on me...the rooster was spurring me! I was swinging at him to get him off me. He finally quit attacking my left leg and immediately launched his second attack on my right leg. Thankfully I was wearing pants, not shorts. He continued spurring me as I was desperately do anything to get him off me. I was screaming at him, swinging at him...I just couldn't get him off! Finally, I was able to get him to let go. The second he did...I kicked him like a football. Both my legs were killing me. Even after I kicked him, he tried to charge at me again, feathers ruffled! I chased him ready to kill him. I HATE CHICKENS!!!! I pulled up my pants leg and he had broken the skin in six different places. I already had welts immediately popping up and where his spurs made direct contact, it broke the skin and was barely starting to bleed. I was so angry! I was crying hysterically when I limped back up to the house. The boys came running as soon as they heard me crying. They thought that one of the main milk cows or the babies had died or something catastrophic had happened. They asked, "Mom, what happened? Are you ok?" I am still crying hysterically and figured out trying to talk at the same time was not a good idea! I managed to choke out between sobs, "The stupid rooster attacked me!" At this point, the boys were trying to hold a straight face, but they were dying of laughter. Jordan couldn't keep a straight face and just busted up laughing! Aaron told him it wasn't funny, but he didn't totally hide the smirk on his face! They just couldn't help it. I told them, "We're having chicken for supper. GO KILL THAT DUMB ROOSTER!!!"
Needles to say, we had chicken afritada tonight. I have been in a lot of pain since Tuesday. My legs are so bruised they look horrible. Nathan couldn't even hide his smirk when he saw my legs Tuesday night as I was changing. As traumatized as I was, he asked me to tell him what happened. As I'm relaying one of the most terrifying moments of my life, he's sitting there outright laughing his little head off!!! He wanted to clarify that he was laughing WITH me. I reminded him that I was NOT laughing at all. He said he laughed for me. My legs did not get infected, thankfully, and today the pain wasn't as bad. I'm hoping I get moving again pretty soon. I hate being stiff and not moving so well. I am thankful he will never again be able to hurt anyone else. I hope you did get a little laugh out of this. At least it provided entertainment for Nathan and the boys...next time I'll let the boys be the walking pin cushion! I can smile a little a bout it now. Maybe one day I'll find the humor in it!
Well, that's our funny farm story for the day...let's make that for the week or better yet, the month! Ok gang...until tomorrow, God bless and rest well.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please feel free to add constructive comments. I have loosened the controls to encourage people to post more comments.